Thursday, February 9, 2012

Learning

“When we think of kids as creatures to be trained, we use whatever manipulation we can think of to get them to do…whatever. But we miss out on the truest joy of parenting. When we approach kids as human beings capable of decisions and thoughts we get to experience a true relationship with them. That means, sometimes, we get to learn from them.” ~ Hal Runke
I read this quote today and really liked it.  I am not perfect and yes I have used manipulation to get my kids to do what I want them to.  Just yesterday I told Abby if she would go to music class she could have a snack afterwards, and it works.  I like to call it a reward for being good :)
I really like the part that talks about learning from them.  I have learned so much from my children.  I have learned to stay calm and not sweat the small things.  I have slowed down and enjoyed things that I would have walked right by.  I have laughed, I have cried.  I love being a mother more than anything in the world and while it is hard it is more that worth it ,the rewards are many and often.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment